Greece is a popular holiday spot among UK tourists, with many heading to the sunny islands after Spain was removed from the government’s list of low-risk countries.
But on Sunday 9 August, Greece recorded its highest daily increase in coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic.
More than 200 new cases
Greece recorded a total of 203 new cases of coronavirus in just 24 hours, marking its largest daily increase to date. The new infections raise the total number of cases in the country to more than 5,600.
The previous highest number of cases recorded in a single day was 156, which was reported back in April.
More than 1,430 cases in the country are considered to be related to travel from abroad, while over 2,700 are related to an already known case.
In response to a sudden outbreak of cases on the island of Poros, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has updated its travel advice, after emergency restrictions were put in place to halt the spread of the virus.
The local restrictions will be in place from 6am on 7 August until 6pm on 17 August, with measures including:
- Prohibition of operation of all food or catering sector-related shops, services and facilities from 11pm to 7am the next day
- Suspension of any kind of live events and celebrations, such as parties, trade fairs, religious ceremonies and open markets
- No more than nine people can gather for any reason in public or private spaces
- The maximum number of people allowed per table in dining facilities, including cafes, tavernas and restaurants, is four, unless your group consists only of close family members you regularly engage with, in which case, a group of up to six people is allowed
- Mandatory use of masks indoors, except in private spaces such as hotel rooms, and outdoors throughout the island
Which areas have the most cases?
These are the locations of where the new coronavirus cases were recorded, with the areas with the highest number of infections listed first:
- 50 cases in Halkidiki
- 38 cases in Attica
- 35 cases in Thessaloniki
- 29 were identified after checks at the country’s entrance gates
- 8 cases in Larissa
- 7 cases in Corfu
- 5 cases in Rodopi
- 4 other important cases (who voluntarily got tested)
- 3 cases in Dodecanese
- 3 cases in Cyclades
- 3 cases in Serres
- 2 cases in Argolida
- 2 cases in Heraklio
- 2 cases in Kavala
- 2 cases in Corinth
- 2 cases in Pieria
- 2 cases in Trikala
- 1 case in Viotia
- 1 case in Drama
- 1 case in Kastoria
- 1 case in Magnisia
- 1 case in Xanthi
- 1 case in Pella