Drug agency says legal highs are on the rise.
The two youngsters, a 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl, were rushed to the emergency department at Forth Valley Royal Hospital after ingesting new psychoactive substances (NPS) from blotter paper.
After being alerted to the incident by police, the Falkirk branch of Signpost Recovery put up an information bulletin on its Facebook page, highlighting the dangers associated with NPS.
Louise Grant, harm reduction worker, said: “We are finding more and more people coming through the door who are taking legal highs. People come to us and they are not engaging with an addiction service because they think the drugs they are taking are legal.
“They just don’t see it is just as dangerous as heroin and other drugs. If anyone has any concerns about NPS or requires information or advice they can contact us.”
Earlier this month Police issued a drugs warning after the incident which saw the youngsters suffer an adverse reaction to the NPS they had taken. Thankfully the boy and girl were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
A police spokesman said: “This incident is very concerning and highlights the dangers of taking drugs. I would urge members of the public to be aware of the dangers of drug use and advise anyone who has taken drugs and feels unwell to seek urgent medical advice.”