The group – Maddie Barrett-Noe (12), Caitlin Devine (14), Rachel Paterson (13) and Ellie Gibson (13) – were going to a training night at the Blue Ridge Equestrian Centre in Shieldhill.
But on the way to the centre a strong smell of smoke started coming from the engine and Maddie’s mum Whitney had to stop the horsebox in the road at the roundabout outside the Rosebank Beefeater in Main Street, Camelon at around 6pm.
Panic set in as they couldn’t bring nine-year-old horse Splash, who is stabled at the Hayfield Riding Centre in Bonnybridge, out of the animal transporter as he would have got spooked by all the vehicles.
Whitney said: “The lorry broke down and smoke started coming from the engine and then there was a burning smell. The girls were really concerned about Splash but we couldn’t get him out because we were in the middle of the road at the roundabout.
“Everything turned out well though and all the girls were happy in the end. I would like to thank the recovery people and Andy from Equine Rescue for coming to our rescue.”
Another parent also came along to pick the girls up and take them to event at Blue Ridge.
Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident and escorted the vehicle into the Beefeater car park.
Staff at the Edinburgh fire control centre said the incident was caused by the brakes seizing, which resulted in the smoke and burning.