Stenhousemuir family want answers as police investigate death

Samuel Kemp (81) at Christmas.  He died on January 1 after being released from A&E the previous day
Samuel Kemp (81) at Christmas. He died on January 1 after being released from A&E the previous day

A distraught family has criticised a hospital following the death of their father, who died the day after being released from A&E.

Police are now investigating as Samuel Kemp’s death in Forth Valley Royal is being treated as unexplained.

The 81-year-old was rushed to hospital by his son from his home in Stenhousemuir on December 31 after waking up in agony.

One of Samuel’s four sons, David Kemp (56), said: “When my dad woke on New Year’s eve he was very pale, complaining of breathlessness and saying he had a sore stomach and a pain in his legs.”

Samuel waited in A&E and saw a doctor who ran some tests but David was unhappy that the wait was too long.

He said: “My dad had some tests done and saw a physiotherapist before being sent home with a walking stick and some exercises to do.”

But that night with Samuel still in excruciating pain, the family called for an ambulance and he was rushed back into hospital.

He died the following morning and the Kemp family is angered Samuel was released from the A&E unit in the first place.

David said: “We are disgusted by the treatment my dad received.

“You would think if an 81-year-old complains of breathlessness among other things that he would be kept in hospital, not dismissed after only five hours, which a lot of was spent waiting.”

A Forth Valley Royal Hospital spokesman said: “We are very sorry to hear about the concerns raised by this family and will be contacting them to discuss the care and treatment provided and answer any questions they may have.”

Samuel died as a result of a heart problem that blocked his arteries and stopped blood from flowing properly. However he had never shown signs until the Thursday morning.

David said: “My dad was fit and healthy and only suffered from high blood pressure. The whole family is shocked at the news.”

Samuel spent his working life as a moulder in the Falkirk foundries, before retiring at the age of 71. He was a massive Stenhousemuir fan and followed his team home and away.

David described his dad as someone who lived life to the full, enjoying spending time with family and friends.

The Procurator Fiscal has asked the police to submit a report into Samuel’s death.

A police spokesman said: “Enquiries are ongoing and the report will be submitted in due course.”