Carrongrange School was evacuated just after 2pm today (Friday, October 21) following an unexplained science lab incident.
It meant the entire school, with a roll of 160, had to be cleared amid fears – later found to be groundless – there had been a gas leak.
However, on Friday the Falkirk Council did not report any difficulty in evacuating the children.
The alert was sounded after reports of a gaseous smell in the lab and technicians from SGN were quickly on the scene, along with a fire engine appliance.
The gas was turned off as a precaution but, said SGN spokesman Denis Kerby: “It was better to be safe than sorry, but while the incident happened in a science lab it wasn’t a gas leak”.
It’s understood staff had been concerned by an ammonia-type smell, and had raised the alarm as a precaution.