'Uncertainty' leads trust to cancel Falkirk's annual firework display

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and ‘uncertainty’ over restrictions Falkirk Community Trust has decided not to light the blue touch paper on this year’s firework display.

By James Trimble
Friday, 18th September 2020, 12:01 pm

The event, which takes place every year on November 5 in Callendar Park, normally sees hundreds of residents young and old enjoying live bands and then looking to the skies for the pyrotechnic extravaganza.

The trust stated on record they believed the risk of COVID-19 was greater than the risk of the injuries and damage which could occur from the inevitable increase in “private” firework displays throughout the community.

A Falkirk Trust spokesperson said: “After careful consultation with our emergency services partners and also in light of only an indicative date being set for ‘certain outdoor live events’ to be permitted from October 5, this uncertainty has led us to the decision to cancel Falkirk Community Trust’s annual fireworks display at Callendar Park this year.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

The bright lights in the night at last year's annual fireworks display in Callendar Park

“We have come to this decision after carefully assessing the current COVID-19 pandemic and considering the impact such a decision may have on our key partners such as Police Scotland, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, NHS Scotland and the Ambulance service, as such a cancellation may adversely affect their operations on the evening of the November 5.

“All parties are of the view that the risk of COVID-19 far outweigh the potential risks of injuries from fireworks being set off throughout the community. Although we

understand that not going ahead with the event may be disappointing for many, we believe that the local community at large and regular attenders alike will fully understand that placing a large group of people together, even in an outdoor space, is too much of a risk to the health of the public.”

The trust stated it looked forward to putting on a “fantastic show” in November 2021.

Trust chief executive Maureen Campbell said: “We are sorry we have had to cancel the event this year and understand this may put additional pressure on emergency services, but we must place the public health risk due to COVID-19 as our top priority and help to protect the public and our staff alike.

“We therefore encourage members of the public to consider how they might otherwise commemorate this annual event in as safe a manner as possible.”