Around 60 friends, former officers and boys of 1st Camelon (Camelon Church) celebrated the 125th anniversary of its formation at a dinner in Falkirk Rugby Club last Friday, September 16. Former captain Ross Strang led the proceedings welcoming everyone including another former Captain Ian Jenkins. Following a delicious meal, the public relations officer from the Battalion gave the toast to the Boys’ Brigade followed by ‘‘old boy’’ Falkirk Provost Pat Reid. Captain Janice Arbuckle replied.
A vote of thanks was given by current officer Peter Marshall followed by the Company prayer, led by the chaplain the Rev Stuart Sharp, and written by Bessie Wilson who had been instrumental in establishing the company in 1891 although at that time deemed inappropriate to be captain.
New president of the Falkirk and District Stedfast Association, former captain of 1st Bothkennar and Carronshore Company welcomed 25 members to their first meeting of the session at an afternoon tea in the Greenpark Centre, Polmont, on September 14.
Afternoon tea was a new venture and appropriately new member Alistair Blackstock, also a former captain at 1st Bothkennar and Carronshore, joined with the others for the first time. Brian Crawford, former captain of 2nd Polmont (Old Church) and the first secretary of the association in 1993 briefly indicated the progress of the association since, not least because of their secretary Wilma Johnston, now standing down after 19 years in post.
He made a presentation to her and in replying she wished her successor Helen Binnie and the association continued success.