Mixed bag for Falkirk runners in London Marathon

Malcolm Binnie (left) and Steven Cliffe after crossing the London Marathon finishing line
Malcolm Binnie (left) and Steven Cliffe after crossing the London Marathon finishing line

Celebrations marked 
reaching the finishing line in this year’s London Marathon for all the local runners who completed the course.

But there was disappointment in Sunday’s race for one brave Carron teenager who couldn’t quite make the distance.

Jill Hendry (19) wasn’t able to repeat her achievement of last year when she completed the 26.2 mile route, pulling up before she got to the 17 mile mark.

She said: “It was 
disappointing but we only got the place at the last minute and probably hadn’t done enough training.”

Jill took up running after being told that she was going blind. Doctors diagnosed her vision problems as the rare condition retinitis 
pigmentosa (RP).

The former Larbert High School had been a keen swimmer but following the devastating diagnosis took up running with the help of a guide, family friend Elaine McKay from Stenhousemuir.

They had hoped to take part in the New York Marathon in 2012 but were stopped in their tracks by Hurricane Sandy which forced the event’s cancellation. But last year the pair completed the London Marathon in around five hours, raising cash for RP Fighting Blindness.

Taking part in their third marathon were Malcolm Binnie (4:58:24) and Steven Cliffe (4:47:02) of Townhouse Restaurants, running for the Scottish Huntington’s 

Barrie Henderson (4:55:08), of Xtreme Karting ran his second London Marathon on behalf of the Anthony Nolan charity. Barber Brian Retson (4:24:11) and publican Colin Green (4:04:48) were running for the Scottish SPCA. And dental nurse Louise Ledwidge (4:53:14) raised funds for the British Heart Foundation in her first marathon.

A total of 35,864 runners completed Sunday’s course around the capital.

Sadly one male competitor collapsed and died shortly after crossing the finishing line.

Kenyan Wilson Kipsang won the marathon in 2:04:29, taking 29 seconds off the course record. The woman’s race was won by another Kenyan, Edna Kiplagat, in 2:20:21.

Crowds of around 750,000 lined the streets to cheer on the huge number of competitors.