And people are being warned that travel could well be disrupted as icy surfaces make conditions dangerous.
The Met Ofice said: “Freezing rain is expected to result in the rapid development of widespread ice, with very dangerous travelling conditions likely.”
• Injuries from slips and falls and danger to life on icy surfaces are likely
• Black ice may form quickly affecting bus, train and air travel
• Dangerous driving conditions are likely leading to road traffic collisions, road closures and longer journey times
• Pavements and cycle paths likely to become instantly impassable because of the sudden formation of black ice
• Power and other services, such as telephone and mobile phone coverage, likely to be interrupted or cut
Met Office forecasters added: “Heavy freezing rain is expected to develop during Saturday.
“This will result in the rapid formation of widespread ice on roads, pavements, trees and other structures.
“Freezing rain is rare in the United Kingdom but when it does occur the impacts can be very severe. This is due to the fact that it can form very quickly, it can be difficult to see and is incredibly slippery.
“Some sleet and snow is possible over the very highest ground and the freezing rain may also be followed by a spell of sleet and snow as the precipitation clears from the west.
“The freezing rain and sleet and snow will be accompanied by strong southeasterly winds which will pose an additional hazard to travel, in particular over high ground.”