A brave postie saved a mum and her teenage son from a blazing house ... and then returned to his deliveries.
But, despite being told the pair could have died if it wasn’t for his quick thinking, he insisted: “I’m no hero, I just did what anyone else would do.’’
John McClelland, from Middlefield in Falkirk, was delivering mail early on Saturday morning when he smelled smoke coming from the house.
He rushed in to wake up the mum and then tried to smother the chip pan fire using a tea towel.
But when he realised the blaze had taken hold, he got the woman and her son to safety and asked a neighbour to call the fire brigade.
John is married to Lisa, an events manager at the Grange Manor Hotel, and the couple have two sons, Ciaran (10), a pupil at St Francis Primary, and seven-month-old Conal.
He told The Falkirk Herald: “I’m just glad I got there when I did.
‘‘There was already a lot of thick black smoke and if it had been much later I don’t think I would have been able to get in and help.”
John (37), who has been a postman for 11 years, continued his round in Westfield, Cumbernauld, once fire engines arrived.
Ambulance workers caught up with him and insisted on checking him out.His carbon monoxide count was high and he had to be hooked up to an oxygen machine for over two hours to get it back to normal levels.
John returned to work on Monday and said he was uncomfortable with the attention his heroic efforts had generated.