A young mum has spoken of her horror after her dream new home quickly turned into a nightmare for her and her two children.
Danielle Barr moved into a Falkirk Council-owned cottage in Allandale in September last year, hoping to restart her life after temporarily living in homeless accommodation with Michelina (4) and Emiliano (2).
I’ve been phoning the council every week since January to try and bring an end to thisDanielle Barr
She was thrilled with her new home and was reassured by the local authority that a previous issue with damp at the property had been fixed.
But the 24-year-old soon realised that the reality was very different.
“During the night in January, when there was bad rain, plaster came off the wall and landed on my boyfriend while he was asleep,” she said. “The poor guy had work in the morning.
“I first reported the problem with damp in January. The council finally sent someone out in mid-February. I was told someone would need to assess the chimney, where the problem originates, and replaster the bedroom. Someone did look at the chimney, but it’s still not been fixed.
“I’ve been phoning the council every week since January to try and bring an end to this.”
The smell of damp hung heavily in the air when The Falkirk Herald visited the property this week.
“My kids are constantly sniffing,” she added.
“But I don’t want to be rehoused. I love this house. I thought it was perfect when I moved in. I just want the problems to be fixed.”
A Falkirk Council spokeswoman apologised to Danielle on behalf of the local authority when the Herald raised the issue.
“We apologise for the delay and any inconvenience this may have caused our tenant,” she said.
“We have visited the property and have now arranged for repairs to be carried out as a matter of urgency.”