Drunk thug wrestles with cop in rear of ambulance

A police officer had his hands full trying to prevent a drunken lout from jumping out of a moving ambulance.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 11th March 2016, 12:00 pm
Updated Friday, 11th March 2016, 2:24 pm
Hollaran ended up struggling with a police officer on a stretcher
Hollaran ended up struggling with a police officer on a stretcher

Mark Hollaran (29) was heading to hospital for treatment on a self-inflicted hand wound when he decided he wanted to get out of the vehicle. When the police officer stopped him jumping out, Hollaran punched and head butted him.

Appearing from custody at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday, Hollaran, of no fixed abode, previously pled guilty to the assault he committed in Grahams Road, Falkirk, and behaving in a threatening manner at Symon Tower, Seaton Place, Falkirk on February 9.

The court heard Hollaran was drunk when he had an argument with his mother.

Procurator fiscal depute Siobhan Monks said: “Discussion turned to his father’s death in July last year and at that point the accused began ransacking the flat, pulling drawers out and smashing a television.

“He smashed a mirror in the hall by punching it and caused his hand to bleed. The blood was going everywhere as he walked around the flat.”

Hollaran left and police were called. When officers arrived they found blood everywhere and Hollaran’s mother in a distressed state.

The procurator fiscal depute said: “The accused returned and police saw his hand was still bleeding. He was taken to hospital in an ambulance with a police officer with him.

“The accused took off his seat belt and attempted to get out of the ambulance while it was still moving. The police officer tried to close the door and the accused then wrestled him onto the stretcher bed in the ambulance and began punching him and head butting him.

“The ambulance stopped and the accused was found to be on top of the police officer, pinning him down on the stretcher and throwing punches at his head.”

More police officers arrived and Hollaran was eventually taken to hospital.

Gordon Addison, defence solicitor, said Hollaran was frustrated because his relationship with his partner had broken down.

Mr Addison said: “He felt he had lost everything, his family and his son. He caught sight of himself in the television so he broke it and then did the same with the mirror.”

Mr Addison added Hollaran apologised to police for his behaviour.

Sheriff John Mundy sentenced him to nine months in prison back dated to February 10.