Vicious Denny thugs jailed for total of nine years

David McCarry and Alex McArthur were both jailed for their extreme levels of violence
David McCarry and Alex McArthur were both jailed for their extreme levels of violence

Pair repeatedly struck defenceless victim with a broken bottle and stamped on his head in frenzied and unprovoked attack.

A thug who was arrested for possessing an axe just months after being released on bail for his part in a vicious assault has been jailed.

David McCarry (22), from Dunipace, was caged for five years and seven months today at the High Court in Edinburgh for the role he played in a vicious assault on Paul Lapsley (18) in Denny in June 2014.

The court heard how McCarry and his pal Alex McArthur (20) battered Mr Lapsley before repeatedly striking him with a broken bottle in a frenzied attack.

The pair then mercilessly punched and kicked their defenceless victim on the head and body before repeatedly stamping and jumping on his head.

Judge Lady Rae also handed McArthur, of Hazel Crescent, Denny a three years and eight month sentence for his part in the sickening assault.

The court heard how McCarry and McArthur turned up at a party in a property at Brewster Place in Denny in the early hours of June 8, 2014 and started fighting with Mr Lapsley after the householders refused to allow them in.

Mr Lapsley had tried to persuade them to leave the scene, but the McCarry and McArthur assaulted him to his severe injury and to the danger of his life.

Police arrested the two men shortly afterwards and they appeared in court in connection with the attack before McCarry was bailed to await the trial.

Both men had pleaded guilty to serious assault charges at the High Court in Glasgow last month and sentence had been deferred for the court to obtain reports about their characters.

Passing sentence, Lady Rae said: “This was an appalling and unprovoked attack on your victim and given the circumstances surrounding your offending behaviour, I can only impose one sentence – that of custody.”

While on bail, McCarry was caught carrying an axe in Haugh Street, Falkirk – a charge he has also pleaded guilty to – after police were called to the street following reports of fighting. McCarry was found in a car in the street with the offensive weapon.

McCarry’s solicitor advocate Liam Ewing told the court that his client was sorry for his offending.