Vandals set fire at Camelon day centre

The equipment shed, on the left, was set on fire by vandals. Picture: Michael Gillen
The equipment shed, on the left, was set on fire by vandals. Picture: Michael Gillen
Share this article

Heartless vandals started a fire that destroyed dozens of items used by adults with learning disabilities attending a day care centre.

A wooden shed at Camelon Centre in Glasgow Road was torched during the night of Sunday, September 27, and Monday, September 28.

The structure was less than a year old and contained garden furniture, games equipment, garden tools, craft materials and items that had been created for a planned Christmas fete later this year. All were either stolen, destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

They belonged to staff and users of the day care centre known as The Cottage, which around a dozen adults with learning difficulties attend for activities and classes.

A 28-year-old man has been charged with fireraising in connection with the incident and appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court on October 1.

Camelon resident Harry Johnston, whose son Alan is one of those who regularly uses the centre, said: “It is a very happy place where the opportunities provided by the staff are much appreciated.

“The morning after the fire staff were very emotional as they explained what had happened.

“Perhaps they did not realise the consequences but, as sports and games are affected, they will be less equipped, even if not poorer in spirt thanks to the caring staff.

“What kind of society does this? Are we a caring society who can help?”

A Falkirk Council spokesman said: “Unfortunately the entire contents of the shed were destroyed by the fire and the water damage and we are currently in the process of replacing all of the equipment.

“This will involve an insurance claim as well as a number of kind donations from our carers and families.”

It’s the second time in the space of six weeks that arsonists have attacked a 
community facility in 

A 14-year-old boy was charged after a fire on September 1 badly damaged an Army Cadet hall used by dozens of youngsters.

The blaze was discovered by police officers on patrol who spotted smoke billowing above the building in 
Nailer Road, Camelon, shortly before midnight.

The facility could be out of use for nine months.