Three-on-one attack left man bleeding in Falkirk street

editorial image

A trio of thugs set upon one man and kicked him when he was down to leave him lying injured in Falkirk town centre.

Ringleader Brian Dornion (22) was captured on CCTV in the early hours of the morning as he laid into the man with his pals, Stuart Newell (22) and Andrew Kenny (21), in Melville Street.

Dornion, Newell and Kenny appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday having pled guilty to the assault they committed on September 13 last year.

It was stated the victim and a friend had left a pub and walked to the end of the street.

They were followed by the three accused. A discussion then took place between the parties and a scuffle soon broke out. The complainer was punched to the head and body and knocked to the ground. Newell then kicked the man on the head when he was lying helpless.

Police had been monitoring the incident on the CCTV and officers were on the scene quickly to arrest the trio before any further violence could be dished out.

The victim was taken to hospital and required two stitches to a wound on his upper lip.

The court heard some of the accused had a more active role in the offence than others, with Dornion carrying out the majority of the attack.

Newell came along and kicked the man when he was down, while Kenny had the least contact with the man.

Martin Morrow, Newell’s defence solicitor, said: “It seems there was an argument. My client came into this a little later when the man had fallen to the ground. There is genuine remorse on his part for being involved in this matter.

“He has a low IQ and learning difficulties.”

Addressing Dornion, Sheriff Craig Caldwell said: “You were the leading antagonist in this matter and you have the most significant history of offending – it was unacceptable for all of you to become involved in this fracas.

“Mr Newell you kicked someone to the head when they were lying on the ground and that is extremely serious. Mr Kenny, you played the least part in this matter.”

Dornion, 91a Main Street, Bainsford, was given a six month supervised community payback order and told to complete 150 hours of unpaid work in that time, while Newell, 12 Clydesdale Street, Bo’ness, also received a six month supervised community payback order and was told to complete 120 hours work.

Kenny, 37 Hayfield, Falkirk, was admonished.