Stenhousemuir offender made gun claim and vowed to 'shoot and kill' police

Residents at a homeless unit had to be safeguarded by police after an offender claimed he had a gun and vowed to “shoot and kill” officers.

By Herald Reporter
Friday, 9th April 2021, 4:45 pm
Updated Tuesday, 13th April 2021, 8:59 am

Police had been responding to a separate matter at Seaforth House in Langlees on March 5 when Craig Sneddon made the chilling threat from a window.

The 20-year-old, 40 Falkland Place, Stenhousemuir, appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Thursday having admitted acting in an aggressive manner on the day in question.

He’d previously lunged at and assaulted a policeman at Forth Valley Royal Hospital on February 1 last year.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Craig Sneddon, of Stenhousemuir, appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court yesterday. Picture: Michael Gillen.

Sneddon then behaved threateningly towards his parents during a row at their Stenhousemuir home on February 6, 2020 by shouting, swearing and throwing pictures around the property.

Detailing the Seaforth House stand-off, procurator fiscal depute India MacLean said: “Around 2.20pm, police have attended for a separate incident and the accused has begun shouting out his window at them.

“He said, ‘I’ve got a gun’ and ‘I’m going to shoot and kill any police that come in here’. Police officers have then had to move other residents from the locus to a separate area because they feared for their safety.

“A short time later, the accused has approached police with his hands in the air. Whilst being taken to the police station, he said, ‘I’m sorry for saying that – where would I get a gun from?’”

Defence solicitor Murray Aitken told Sheriff Derek Livingston sentence had previously been deferred for his client to be of good behaviour.

Referring to the March 5 incident, the lawyer said: “The recent matter breaches that period.

“He’s done a few stupid things in his life but that’s top of the lot, to say something like that. Fortunately, it’s over very quickly.

“He came out and immediately apologised and the matter was at an end.”

The court was told Sneddon had “difficulties” with substance misuse and was now living with his parents.

His solicitor added: “He’s very much on his last chance with them, given what they’ve had to put up with already.

“There are signs he’s taking steps to address some difficulties. He’s been abstinent from all substances since his arrest.

“He was referred to Change Grow Live and has been allocated a key worker who described him as motivated to address his difficulties. He’s also been referred to Forth Valley Recovery Community.”

Sneddon, who has already completed 100 hours’ unpaid work, was still subject to a supervision order when he made his latest court appearance.

Addressing him, Sheriff Livingston said: “Custody was uppermost in my mind but I read the report and I’m prepared to deal with matters in a non-custodial manner.

“You’re probably on your last chance.”

Sneddon was placed under supervision for two years and made subject to a conduct requirement banning him from consuming non-prescribed drugs.

He must also attend all drug counselling and treatment services, as directed by the social work department, and was placed under a four-month, 7pm-7am restriction of liberty order as an alternative to custody.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.