Police Scotland praised for snaring Falkirk sex beast Bermingham

editorial image

The mother of one of the little girls John Bermingham was accused of trying to abduct has thanked police for their efforts in bringing the sex beast to justice.

Bermingham (52) was jailed for three years at Stirling Sheriff Court yesterday for breaching his Sexual Offences Prevention Order by engaging in a conversation with a woman at the Union Canal in Falkirk on May 18 – only eight days after he was released from custody following a High Court trial.

In his High Court case, Bermingham had been accused of trying to seize two little girls from Glenburn Road, Falkirk, last year by pretending to have lost his jacket and offering them cash to help him find it.

The High Court jury heard evidence from the little girls, who couldn’t identify Bermingham, and found the charges not proven.

READ MORE: Falkirk sex beast Bermingham used ‘disguises’ to try and fool cops

READ MORE: Not proven verdict in attempted abduction case

Now Bermingham is behind bars again, the mother of one of the girls he was accused of trying to abduct told The Falkirk Herald she was “delighted” he was off the streets.

She said: “He committed this offence just a few days after being released from custody. I felt very let down by the justice system after the trial, but now he has finally got what he deserves.

“It’s terrifying thinking of him being out on the streets. The police have been fantastic – I can’t fault them at all. They kept us up top date with everything. The fact they had surveillance on him demonstrates how much of a danger he is.”

Bermingham had been watched by officers ever since he was cleared of attempting to abduct two little girls.

His SOPO banning him from having anything other than “incidental” conversations with women, Bermingham was arrested after engaging a 59-year-old woman in a “strange” chat about a dog.

Appearing at Stirling Sheriff Court yesterday, Bermingham was said to have deliberately “gone equipped” to change his appearance.