Police called to Falkirk 13th floor tower block drama

An offender who dangled his feet out of the windows of his 13th floor flat apologised to police for wasting their time.

By Court Reporter
Thursday, 29th April 2021, 3:54 pm

James McIntyre (62), a resident of one of Falkirk’s 16-storey high flats tower blocks, attacked police and then refused to open his door, telling them he was on his window ledge and dangling his legs out of his window.

McIntyre appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court earlier today having previously admitted the offence he committed at his home in Marshall Tower, Seaton Place, Falkirk on October 24 last year.

The charges stated he repeatedly called 999 and told officers he was on the window ledge of the 16-storey high building.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

McIntyre was seen by police to dangle his feet out of the window sill of his 13th floor flat in Falkirk's Marshall Tower

Procurator fiscal depute Amy Sneddon said: “He was on his window ledge on the 13th floor and continued to remain on the call to the 999 operator as police were in attendance.

"He refused to answer the door to police officers for around 15 minutes despite their continual knocking.”

McIntyre left the window sill and eventually let officers in, but had to be restrained when he attempted to run away from them into another room.

The procurator fiscal depute added: “He told officers ‘I wasn’t going to jump, I just wanted to speak to Sharon’. He said ‘I’m sorry for wasting your time, I’m sorry for that’ and ‘I only had my ankles up there – I just wanted Sharon to speak to me’.”

The court heard McIntyre had now reduced his drinking.

Frazer McCready, defence solicitor, said: “He had fallen out, it would appear, with his partner. Feeling very sorry for himself he ended up on his window ledge.

"The police officers would not have know he wasn’t going to jump – it must have been concerning to officers. He took himself off the window ledge to open the door. This was not a situation where police had to break down the door.”

Sheriff Derek Livingston said: “I take it very seriously this wasting of police time and the anxiety it will have caused to them.”

He placed McIntyre on a supervised community payback order for three years, made him subject to a restriction of liberty order to stay in his home betwee 7pm and 7am for 144 days and gave him 28 days to pay police £750 compensation.