Larbert offender attacked cerebral palsy son
A father argued with his wife over the care of his 17-year-old son who has cerebral palsy and then proceeded to verbally and physically attack the teenager.
The 37-year-old dad from Larbert, who cannot be named as it would identify his son, did not appear at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Thursday having pleaded guilty to the assault and threatening behaviour offences he committed at his home on April 20 last year.
He had been excused his appearance because he had been of good behaviour following the offence.
However, Sheriff Derek Livingston decided to hear the details of the case in his absence.
Procurator fiscal depute Heather Galbraith said: “The wife and son were within the home, as was the accused. In the living room, the accused and his wife were discussing the care of their son, who has cerebral palsy.
"The accused was of the opinion he should receive more treatment. The accused’s son came into the living room and the accused directed his anger towards him.”
The father fired a barrage of derogatory terms for disabled people at the teenager, before walking towards him.
"He pushed him backwards onto the stairs,” said the procurator fiscal depute. “This caused him to hit his head against the banister. The accused then walked past him upstairs and caused some damage to the banister.”
Police were called and the father was charged.
John Mulholland, defence solicitor, said: “The had been discussing their son’s care and my client was of the opinion he should be receiving more care than he was receiving. The son came downstairs and it all got out of hand and my client accepts that.
"He is ashamed of himself and ashamed of his conduct – taking his frustration out on the very person he is trying to protect.”
Sheriff Livingston said: “I accept there is an element of frustration in this but I’m concerned about the language used towards the son.”
The sheriff admitted he had considered fining the accused, but said that would also hurt his wife and son.
Sentence was deferred on the accused for six months to September 2 for his good behaviour.