Grangemouth thug jailed over series of assaults and 'positive' coronavirus claim

Tried to kick paramedic in the head

By Herald Reporter
Thursday, 1st October 2020, 4:45 pm
Updated Thursday, 1st October 2020, 4:46 pm

A thug has been jailed after he carried out a series of assaults on police - and claimed he had coronavirus before breathing on officers’ faces.

Scott Falconer falsely claimed to be a mixed martial arts fighter, and tried to boot a paramedic in the head after he told police he felt suicidal and threatened to stab others.

Falconer, 96 Bowhouse Road, Grangemouth, appeared from custody at Falkirk Sheriff Court having pleaded guilty to: making threats of violence; struggling violently with officers; stating he had tested positive for Covid-19; forcibly exhaling on police; and shouting, swearing and challenging officers to fight on March 22, 2020, while being escorted to Forth Valley Royal Hospital.

Scott Falconer, of Grangemouth, was jailed following an appearance at Falkirk Sheriff Court. Picture: Michael Gillen.

The 33-year-old had also admitted trying to kick a Scottish Ambulance Service worker that day, while on bail.

His offending continued on August 3 this year when he threw a chair at an employee at The Tam Bain pub in Laurieston where he also made threats to kill others and damage property.

The court heard police were called and Falconer was taken to hospital for a mental health assessment “due to his behaviour and the accused stating he was hearing voices”.

After being placed in a bed at Forth Valley Royal Hospital, he threatened to “kill everyone in uniform”, attempted to bite one officer and repeatedly kicked another on the body, having also told police “football hooliganism” ran through his veins, procurator fiscal depute Nheveela Ruhmatullah said.

Last year, Falconer avoided imprisonment when he appeared in court having admitted shouting, swearing and challenging police to fight in Westquarter Avenue, Westquarter and kicking a policeman at Falkirk Police Station on July 30.

On August 29, 2019, he was taken to Forth Valley Royal Hospital by police after calling 999 stating he was going to kill himself and wanted to kill others. Falconer had also kicked out at officers, made threats of violence and repeatedly uttered racist, sectarian and homophobic remarks, while on bail.

His 2020 offences, however, landed Falconer in custody, where he has remained since August 4.

Defence solicitor Stephen Biggam said his client has suffered mental health issues since childhood, which have been “compounded in adulthood by cocaine and alcohol issues”.

Sheriff Derek Hamilton sentenced Falconer to 21 months’ imprisonment, backdated to August 4.

Message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you