Grangemouth man threw mug at partner and smashed car window with candle

A Grangemouth man threw a mug at his partner and smashed the woman’s car window by launching a candle following an argument.

By Herald Reporter
Monday, 19th July 2021, 12:30 pm

Graeme Ferguson, 41, of 71 Kings Road, lost his cool when the woman arrived at his home to reclaim her belongings on the morning of June 14, 2020 and lobbed the items at her from a window.

Ferguson appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday having pleaded guilty to behaving threateningly by shouting, swearing, throwing a mug and a candle and causing the latter to strike and break a car window.

The court was told the pair have been in an “on-off relationship” in recent years and a row had broken out via text messages.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Graeme Ferguson, of Grangemouth, was sentenced at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Thursday. Picture: Michael Gillen.

Procurator fiscal depute Xander Van der Scheer said: “That resulted in the accused asking the complainer to clear her belongings after work on the day.

“When she came to pick up them up, she parked outside.”He continued: “She went into the house to get her belongings from a bedside cabinet while the accused was still in bed.

"He turned round and started shouting. As she walked towards her car she also heard the accused shouting out the window.”

Read More

Read More
'Internal processes' begin at Forth Valley Royal Hospital following bullying inv...

The court was told Ferguson threw a mug which smashed into several pieces on the ground outside the property, and then got what appeared to be a large candle and threw it at her car, which causes the rear passenger window to smash. The police were called.

Ferguson’s defence solicitor said: “He pleaded guilty at the start of the trial but this case should’ve been subject to a plea at an intermediate diet stage. I had written to the court.”The agent added: “They’re still together and very happy apparently. “

Ordering Ferguson to ordered to complete 90 hours’ unpaid work in one year, Sheriff Derek Livingston said: “This was a completely reckless act.”

He was also placed under supervision for a period of two years and must attend meetings “designed to assist with your drinking and other behaviour”, as directed by social workers.

The order was made as a direct alternative to custody.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.