Grangemouth convict turned up with bag of knives at door of woman he threatened to kill

A man who wrote to a woman from behind bars threatening to kill her and scatter her remains as far as he could then turned up at her door a few months later with a bag of knives.

By Court Reporter
Monday, 19th April 2021, 12:09 pm

Matthew Baird (26) appeared from custody via video link at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday having admitted behaving in a threatening manner, sending the woman a letter with threats to kill her, at and address in Bo’ness between January 1 and January 13 last year.

He also admitted breaching his non harassment order by entering Bo’ness.

Katie Cunningham, procurator fiscal depute, said the woman received a handwritten letter from the accused stating the first thing he was going to do when he got out of custody was kill her – then he was going to scatter her remains as far as he could so no one would find her.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Baird appeared from custody via video link at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday to answer for his threatening behaviour and breach of bail

The procurator fiscal added: "The accused was arrested at Lower Moss prison. He said he was aware of the non harassment order and admitted to sending the letter. He had spoken to staff about wanting to kill the woman.

"He said he wanted to end her bloodline because it was cursed. The accused was due to be liberated from Low Moss and told a prison officer about his intention to go and see the woman.

"He said he needed to do it and mentioned ending the bloodline and then ‘it would be done’.”

A few months later, after his release from prison, Baird was seen on CCTV in a shop buying a pack of knives – he was also spotted by a mental health nurse who recognised him and reported seeing him buying the knives to police.

Baird later told a taxi driver he was going to meet someone in Bo’ness.

When he arrived in the street the woman thought he was a delivery man and buzzed him in.

However, when she opened the door slightly and realised it was Baird, she immediately shut it and locked it, before calling police.

Baird told her he wanted to “discuss something with her” and “if it was not sorted today then it would be tomorrow”.

While waiting for police to arrive the woman watched Baird from her window as he stood outside on the street.

Police officers arrived and asked him if he had any knives on his person. He said no and they asked if he had knives in his bag and Baird said “that’s a different story”.

Officers found four knives and a pair of scissors.

Defence solicitor Murray Aitken said Baird had been scared to go to the temporary homeless accommodation he had been allocated in Denny after his release from prison.

Mr Aitken stated Baird now had a completely different outlook on life. He added the woman in question had moved away from the area and Baird had no idea where she was and no intention of contacting her.

Sheriff Christopher Shead said: “This is a difficult case for the court to determine.”

He sentenced Baird, 50 Newbiggin Road, Grangemouth, to 28 months in custody back dated to April 6, 2020 with a 10-and-a-half month supervised release order. He also made him subject to a non harassment order for three years not to have any contact with the woman he threatened.