Drunk in dock after kicking out at cops

A woman went on a drunken rampage outside a Falkirk nightclub as she tried to gain entry to the premises to get her jacket.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 1st August 2016, 7:00 am
Ms Ross was staggering outside the Warehouse club when she kicked out at police
Ms Ross was staggering outside the Warehouse club when she kicked out at police

Gemma Ross (27) was staggering around on road outside the Warehouse and had to be spoken to by police. 
Refusing to take a telling, she was eventually arrested after she kicked officers.

Ross, 1 Muirfield Road, Stenhousemuir, appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday, having previously admitted the assaults she committed in Burnbank Road, Falkirk and the town’s police station on May 22. 
She also pled guilty to behaving in a threatening manner in Burnbank Road.

Mhairi Alexander, procurator fiscal depute, said: “It was 2.45am and the two police witnesses were on patrol outside The Warehouse night club. The accused was in the middle of the road, holding up traffic and shouting and swearing at no one in particular.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

“Police ushered her off the road and gave her an informal warning. Fifteen minutes later she was back again, trying to get in the door of the night club, shouting and swearing at the door staff.

“Police attempted to get her details and it was at this point she kicked out at police officers. She was taken to the police station and 
continued to struggle with officers, kicking out at them.”

The court heard Ross had one previous conviction on her record.

Defence solicitor Kevin Douglas said: “She has had some difficulties in the not too distant past and became quite depressed. She struggles a bit with life and, although she doesn’t drink very often, she got herself well and truly drunk on this particular night.

“She doesn’t remember very much about the night, but she does recall she was trying to get back into the night club because her jacket was still in there.”

Passing sentence, Sheriff John Mundy said: “It must have been a very annoying incident for the police and others to have to deal with.”

Alexander was placed on a supervised community payback order for nine months.