Denny woman jailed after threatening to 'murder' police

A drunken woman threatened to cut an officer’s throat and “murder” police.

By Herald Reporter
Monday, 12th April 2021, 4:45 pm
Updated Tuesday, 13th April 2021, 8:59 am

Kerry Henderson, 30, 51 Dryburgh Avenue, Denny, appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday.

She’d previously admitted behaving in an aggressive manner towards police in Little Denny Road, Denny and within a police vehicle during the course of a journey to Falkirk Police Station on September 29, 2020.

While in the vehicle, Henderson shouted, swore and repeatedly uttered homophobic remarks, threats of violence, offensive remarks and seized a young girl by the face in order to prevent her from speaking to police officers.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Kerry Henderson, of Denny, was jailed at Falkirk Sheriff Court. Picture: Michael Gillen.

She then assaulted a police officer by spitting on her head at Falkirk Police Station.

The court was told officers were called to the area at 10.55pm in connection with a disturbance.

On arrival, police found her to be “heavily under the influence of alcohol.”

She became aggressive and made a homophobic remark to one officer.

Procurator fiscal depute India MacLean said a young girl arrived at the scene.

Ms MacLean said: “She asked what was going on and the accused grabbed her by the face, covered her mouth and said, ‘Don’t tell them anything’.

“The girl appeared frightened and began crying. The accused continued to swear at police and was arrested.

"She continued shouting, ‘I’ll cut your throat’ and then said to the girl to run away from police.”

The court was told Henderson was then placed in a car and continued to shout and swear, saying similar things including, ‘I’ll murder you’.

“On the way to Falkirk Police Station she continued shouting and was spitting within the cage of the vehicle. She was escorted to the cell where she spat in the face of a police officer.”

Defence solicitor Martin Morrow said his client knew “she’d been in the wrong” and explained officers had been looking to trace other women in connection with the original matter.

Sheriff Derek Livingston noted: “She picked up two matters in 2019 and one Justice of the Peace Court matter in January 2021 that remain outstanding.”

Sheriff Livingston referenced “untruths” Henderson had told about her engagement with a substance misuse organisation.

He jailed her for six months.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.