Death threats and spit attack

Strang spat on a bus driver
Strang spat on a bus driver

A drunken thug threatened to kill schoolchildren as they left the gates at home time and then later spat in a bus driver’s face.

Kevin Strang (21) staggered around outside Grangemouth’s Sacred Heart Primary School shouting and swearing his vile threats in front of children and their parents.

Again in a drunken state on another occasion he threatened a bus driver, eventually forcing his way onto the vehicle and spitting in the driver’s face.

Strang appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday, having previously pled guilty to behaving in a threatening manner outside the Bowhouse Road school on February 27 and the assault he committed in Newmarket Street, Falkirk on April 1.

Procurator fiscal depute Fiona Nairn said: “The witness collected her daughter at school finishing time and was at the school gates when she heard the accused shouting and swearing from behind her.

“She asked him to stop because there were lots of children listening, but he appeared to be under the influence of something and continued to shout and swear, saying he was going to f***ing kill them all.”

“The school were made aware of this and contacted the police.”

The other incident happened on board a parked bus in Newmarket Street.

The procurator fiscal depute said: “The driver saw the accused walking towards his bus, staggering all over the pavement, clearly intoxicated. He tried to gain access to the bus and was told he would not be allowed access until he sobered up.

“The accused gained entry and started up the stairs, his fists clenched. He then spat in the driver’s face.”

Strang was removed from the bus and police were called.

The court heard, after committing these offences, Strang had been keeping himself busy doing voluntary work with the Salvation Army.

Stephen Biggam, defence solicitor, said: “He has developed an alcohol problem and admits he is horrified by his own behaviour. He wants to pay the bus driver back in some way for what he has done.”

Sheriff Linda Smith placed Strang, 16 Croftside Court, Grangemouth, on a supervised community payback order for 12 months with the condition he complete 125 hours of unpaid work in that time.