Bottle throwing thug tells police ‘we will go to war’ during Banknock siege

Police officers had to take cover behind protective shields as they were pelted with glass bottles from above by an offender who had locked himself in a house.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 3rd March 2020, 3:02 pm

Sean McGuire (34) told officers he was going to “go to war” with them and threatened to arm himself with a knife, before throwing the bottles at them during the three hour siege situation.

Appearing at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Thursday, McGuire, 40 Wilson Avenue, Denny, had pled guilty to behaving in a threatening manner and recklessly throwing bottles at police placing them at risk of severe injury at an address in Hollandbush Crescent, Banknock on February 2.

Ann Orr, procurator fiscal depute, said: “Police officers had been called to the address in relation to a disturbance. They found the accused in the front garden next door – he was shouting and swearing and shouting names at people in the neighbouring house.

McGuire pelted police with glass bottles so they had to take refuge behind protective shields

“He started shouting and swearing at police officers and then ran into the house and shut the door, telling officers they wouldn’t be coming in without a warrant and continuing to shout and swear at them.

“He then said he would go and get a big knife, he would get ‘tooled up’ and ‘we will go to war’. He called them pigs and challenged them to fight. He was seen a one point to be in possession of a screwdriver which he pointed and waved at officers and began to strike it against the ledge of an upstairs window.

“He then threw bottles out of the window, causing the officers to take cover. He threw six bottles, some of which broke on the ground and some on police shields. After three hours he volunteered himself to police at the door.”

Defence solicitor Stephen Biggam said McGuire was in the midst of a marriage break-up at the time and “lost control of himself”. He said the situation with police came to an end when McGuire’s wife and his sister and law came down to the house.

Sheriff Derek Hamilton ordered McGuire to complete 135 hours unpaid work within six months.