Blood smeared walls lead to drunk's arrest

Police responded to a midnight call '“ and when they arrived at the address found walls inside the property smeared with blood.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 7:00 am
Falkirk Sheriff Court
Falkirk Sheriff Court

The officers who investigated then discovered Barry Fowler lying asleep and also covered in blood and smelling of alcohol.

Falkirk Sheriff Court heard last Thursday that when they woke him up to find out what had happened he launched into a foul-mouthed rant and was arrested.

At an earlier court the 47-year-old from 7 Charlotte Dundas Court in Grangemouth had admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive manner at a house in Larbert Road, Bonnybridge, on May 9 this year by shouting and swearing and resisting arrest by struggling violently with police constables Craig Kilbride and Kenneth Campbell and kicking out at them.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

He had also pled guilty to breaching bail conditions imposed at Stirling Sheriff Court last December and had sentence deferred for background reports to be prepared by social workers.

In court last week, defence lawyer Andy Bryson claimed Fowler could “not remember” what he had said to the police because he had been so drunk.

Mr Bryson said: “He had been on an all-night bender with his father-in-law and can’t remember what he said to the police, but is embarrassed, ashamed and very disappointed that in his drunkeness he stooped to that level.”

Sheriff Derek Livingston told Fowler his behaviour has brought him “very close” to custody.

As a direct alternative he placed him on a supervised community payback order for two years with the added conditions he attend alcohol counselling and complete 100 hours unpaid work within six months.

At the same court a woman who threatened staff at Forth Valley Royal in Larbert during a booze-fuelled rage agreed to give up alcohol in return for avoiding jail.

Elizabeth Maclean (20), from Cultenhove Road, Stirling, was arrested on May 7 for threatening and abusive behaviour and appeared from custody for sentence.

After being given a pledge she would quit drinking, Sheriff Derek Livingston placed her on a two year supervised community payback order.