Banned driver led police on high speed chase through Falkirk

A disqualified driver sped along town centre roads crowded with pedestrians before heading off on foot through a betting shop in a vain attempt to evade police.

By Court Reporter
Wednesday, 22nd April 2020, 4:45 pm
Updated Thursday, 23rd April 2020, 3:18 pm

A young and terrified passenger beside him in the front of his car, Calvin McLintock (22), of Saint Crispin’s Place, Falkirk, drove at excessive speed, repeatedly changed lanes, veered over to the wrong side of the road, and narrowly missed other vehicles and pedestrians in Falkirk during the change just after 4pm.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Appearing from custody at Falkirk Sheriff Court earlier today, McLintock had pled guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and resisting and struggling police in various streets in Falkirk town centre on February 28.

Sean Maher, procurator fiscal depute, said the incident began when police on mobile patrol in Baxters Wynd noticed a Seat Mii being driven by McLintock, whom they knew to be a disqualified driver.Mr Maher said: "They turned their vehicle around with the intention of stopping him, but he made off, picking up speed. He was dodging in an out of traffic on Arnot Street, driving on the wrong side of the road."He cut off a car as he proceeded into Melrose Place, when he drove on, narrowly missing members of the public. He then exited the vehicle and made off on foot."CCTV operators informed the police the accused had been seen entering Coral, on High Street, Falkirk."Police attended and on seeing them he made off through a rear exit."Police reinforcements were called in and McLintock was chased, caught and arrested in Booth Place, ten minutes after the chase started. He had to be handcuffed by three cops after "swinging" his head towards officers and swearing at them.Continuing to shout threats and struggle he was placed in a police van and taken to Falkirk Police Station.Mr Maher said when police had arrived back at McLintock's vehicle there was a young male passenger still sitting in the front seat.Mr Maher said: "He was upset and shaking. He told police he had asked McLintock to stop, and on several occasions to slow down, but he had refused to do so."He said he was afraid the accused was going to drive into someone due to the speed he was going."Defence solicitor Neil Hay said since McLintock, who had never been jailed before, had already served 52 days in custody, and had a fixed address and a job, a community payback order would be sufficient punishment.He said: "The termination of a relationship and the death of a friend had led to his return from Thailand, and after that return he went off into committing offences."Sheriff Christopher Shead placed McLintock on social work supervision for 18 months, ordered him to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work, and banned him from driving for 12 months.

McLintock was sentenced at Falkirk Sheriff Court