Club near death scene is a ‘war zone’

The Warehouse nightclub
The Warehouse nightclub

The Falkirk night spot a murdered man was reportedly in hours before he died has been labelled a “war zone” by neighbours.

As the devastated family and friends of tragic victim Russell Robertson struggle to come to terms with their loss, claims have been made on social media that the Warehouse premises in Burnbank Road has been at the centre of other alarming incidents.

Russell’s body was found at around 3.30am on Sunday, May 29, at the Bainsford Bridge in Grahams Road, Bainsford.

It is thought that the 27-year-old, known as Smeegs, had been at the Warehouse the previous night.

The alleged murder took place just a few hundred yards away.

Two men, Mark Munro (30) from Denny and James Robertson (26) from Westquarter, have been charged with the offence.

Both made a second appearance at Falkirk Sheriff Court last week, made no plea or declaration and were fully committed before being released on bail.

They are accused of pushing him over the canal bridge and prising loose his hands as he clung to the rails, seizing him by the neck, throwing him over the railings and punching him on the hands before prising his hands and causing him to fall.

Hours before his death, Russell had posted a ‘selfie’ on Facebook with the message “All set and ready for the night”.

The tragedy has hit the local community hard – and sparked anger.

Many posted their feelings to The Falkirk Herald Facebook page. One repeated the views of many by saying: “This sort of thing is happening constantly at the Warehouse.

“When you walk past in the early hours after it has closed it resembles a war zone.

“The police are there constantly to stop fights and make arrests.

“Why is this place still allowed to stay open? It’s nothing but a scary trouble magnet.

“It’s a nightmare for the people who live near it.”

Last night (Wednesday) Police Scotland said it was unable to comment on the claims since the murder inquiry is a live case.

The Falkirk Herald contacted Falkirk Council for a comment from the clerk of the licensing board, but as we went to press had received no response. No one from Warehouse had responded to attempts to contact them.