An evil doctor who tried to lure two little girls into his car faces being struck off.
Leslie Mitchell (59) was jailed in September 2010 after committing the offence in Carronshore in January that year.
This week, a tribunal decided his fitness was “impaired” following the conviction.
Mitchell, who worked in the A&E department at the then Stirling Royal Infirmary, was locked up and placed on the sex offenders register after he admitted the breach of the peace with sexual overtones.
He pled guilty to stopping the two girls, aged 10 and 11, in Webster Avenue, Carronshore, talking to them and asking if he could tickle their legs. He then attempted to entice them into this car.
When he appeared at Falkirk Sheriff Court, the case was remitted to the High Court in Edinburgh for sentencing after Sheriff Craig Caldwell said his powers were limited and the doctor posed a “significant” risk, particularly to young girls.
Mitchell now faces being barred from the medical profession at a Medical Practitioners Tribunal service hearing which began in Manchester on Monday.
He admitted that his “fitness to practice” was impaired because of his conviction.
Mitchell is not present at the hearing, chaired by Professor David Katz, but is represented by his solicitor.
It was expected to conclude yesterday.
Although a first offender, the doctor revealed he had previously taken part in similar conduct in the 1990s and began grooming young girls in chatrooms after getting internet access in 2000.
He accepted that he had met the two youngsters in Carronshore with the intention of grooming them to commit sex offences against them and had been frequenting an area around a local primary school with that in mind.
His then home in Heritage Drive bordered the playground of Carron Primary School.
He was originally sentenced to four years by Lord Hardie, as well as an order for lifelong restriction, which means he will be supervised for life.
He told Mitchell: “The terms of the charge really don’t do justice to what was actually happening in this case.
“It became clear your intention was to ingratiate yourself with these two little girls, ultimately to take them away and have sexual intercourse with them.
“It is not so much what actually happened but what might have happened.”
Mitchell said he carried out his own “risk assessments” into being caught, judging the “rewards” were worth it.
Describing himself as a “recovering paedophile”, he added that he feared girls older than 12 would “suss him out”.
However, in October last year, appeal judges cut his sentence by more than two-thirds.
They said test cases involving other sex offenders had to be taken into account.
But Lord Carloway, sitting with Lord Bonomy and Lord Brodie, rejected the bid to drop the lifelong restriction after deciding there was a risk to the public.
Any decision to release Mitchell then lay with the parole authorities.
During his appeal, his solicitor advocate, Murray Macara QC, argued that the indeterminate sentence was “unnecessary and inappropriate” and the jail term was excessive”.