Carers marched up to Falkirk’s Municipal Buildings yesterday (Wednesday) demanding the council save The Rowans adult respite service.
Last year Falkirk Council announced it was considering axing the Larbert facility in order to help it make savings over the next few years.
Protestors made their feelings quite clear to council members, including Provost Pat Reid, SNP Group Leader Cecil Meiklejohn and Labour councillors Linda Gow and Allyson Black.
Diane Fitzpatrick, who acts as a carer for someone who uses The Rowans, said: “I feel the council has been very underhanded in the way they have done this. They consulted within the council but did not come to parents or carers about it.
“I only found out they were thinking about closing it through another parent. There are no respite care facilities in Falkirk and the council has no idea what that they have done and what impact this will have on the people who use the Rowans.
“They have picked on the most vulnerable people in Falkirk to make their cuts.”
Provost Reid assured parents and carers they would be given a chance to have their say at a special meeting of the council and Councillor Gow said council staff would be having one-to-one consultations with those concerned.
Last December the council stated a review had taken place into the future of The Rowans, which involved consultation with staff, service users and carers, and the option to close of the facility was put forward to members.
A spokesperson said: “The matter is to be consulted on further by members. No decisions have been taken.”