As union bosses call on Ineos to immediately start up the petrochemical plant Scottish ministers look to put the site up for sale.
Unite stated over 65 percent of workers rejected the company’s plans to change pensions, pay and working conditions and the plant, which was shut down last week, should now begin procedures to start operating again.
Meanwhile Scotland’s finance minister John Swinney said there have been discussions with other parties regarding the purchase of the site, which Ineos management were in favour of.
An Ineos spokesman stated: “Ineos is always willing to look at business opportunities.”
However, industry experts say the current situation in Grangemouth, which has seen the site lose £579 million in the last four years, mean it is unlikely any buyer will want to take up the offer.
The future of the site, and over one thousand workers, still hangs in the balance with the vast majority of employees saying no to the Ineos survival plan package.
Pat Rafferty, Unite Scottish secretary said: “This resounding rejection of the company’s cynical blackmail sends a clear message to the company. The 663 people who have so far rejected Ineos’ ultimatum are the backbone of the plant, the people who keep the site running and the oil flowing.
“The people of Grangemouth and Scotland will be expecting Jim Ratcliffe and the Ineos shareholders to now take heed. Do the right thing, drop the threats to the workforce, fire up the plant and get around the table at ACAS.”
Ineos stated it was now considering the employees who had given their support to the plan and will present the information to its shareholders today. The company will then communicate the shareholders’ views to the workforce tomorrow.
The petrochemical site was shut down last week ahead of a planned strike by Unite members and remains closed despite the action, which had been due to begin on Sunday over a dispute concerning union member Stephen Deans, being called off.