A businessman is bidding to turn the former Carmelite Monastery in Falkirk into a luxury home.
Successful hotelier and property developer Douglas Hannigan bought the Victorian villa which sits on 2.5 acres of Arnothill last year.
Now he wants to demolish the chapel and accommodation wing on the grounds and convert the convent building which dates back to 1855 to give it a new lease of life.
He said: “We have been in discussions and meetings with Falkirk Council since late last summer and only recently applied for planning consent. We are going through the process, but early indications are the applications have been generally well received so it’s all looking pretty positive.
“The former convent is only one of the many redevelopment and investment schemes that we as a company have in Falkirk and we continue to look at such opportuntities within the Falkirk Council area in order to provide a tangible level of reinvestment, developemnt and employment for the people of Falkirk.”
Mr Hannigan owns the Hannigan Hotels Group which includes the Park Hotel and Hotel Cladhan in the town and Beancross Hotel in Polmont. His company also recently completed a major conversion of a building in Vicar Street to create Falkirk’s very own ‘wedding corner’ now home to a wedding photographer, cake maker and kilt hire and bridal wear firm.
He also owns the landmark Tudor House in Princes Street which he intends to transform into flats, flats in Newmarket Street and the site of the former Polish Club in Arnot Street which is earmarked for housing.