Brightons woman rescued after cigarette causes house fire

Firefighters had to rescue a woman from the house yesterday morning
Firefighters had to rescue a woman from the house yesterday morning

Firefighters rescued a woman from a home in Brightons after a fire was started when a cigarette wasn’t put out properly.

The blaze broke out shortly before 10.54am yesterday at the house in Park Avenue and crews from Falkirk and Bo’ness rushed to the scene.

It only takes a moment of carelessness to cause a fire that could cost someone their home, their possessions or even their life.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation and after being rescued was treated at the scene before being taken by ambulance to Forth Valley Royal Hospital for further treatment.

The fire was thought to have been started by “discarded” smoking materials.

The Scottish fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning to smokers of the dangers of not putting cigarettes out correctly.

A spokesperson said: “Any fire in someone’s property must always bring home the importance of working together to prevent fires, and raise awareness of how we can reduce the risk of fire in the home.

“Discarded smoking materials are a common cause of house fires – it only takes a moment of carelessness to cause a fire that could cost someone their home, their possessions or even their life.

“It is vital that smokers make sure they have fully extinguished cigarettes and matches immediately after use and, once lit, cigarettes, pipes or cigars should never be left unattended.

“A cigarette end can smoulder for hours before eventually starting a fire that can quickly spread flames, heat and toxic smoke throughout a property, so it’s essential that these are always disposed of correctly.”

The spokesperson added: “This incident also shows why every home needs to be protected by working smoke alarms. We need to accept fire can happen to us and ensure our homes have the life-saving protection of working smoke alarms.

“By quickly alerting people to the danger within their homes, these devices give everyone vital time to get to safety and call 999. We provide free home fire safety visits and fit smoke alarms where required.”

Anyone concerned about fire risk in homes can arrange a free home fire safety visit with firefighters by 0800 0731 999 or visiting www.firescotland.gov.uk.