Anger after bank’s dog-fight eviction

customers looked on in horror as a tiny dog was attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the Falkirk branch of a bank.

The Lhasa Apso, called Edie, was badly bitten in the incident at Santander in Falkirk High Street on Friday, April 1.

Edie’s owner, Vivianne Plank, is angry she and friend Jemima Whittet were thrown out of the branch after the attack.

Both women use disability scooters.

Vivianne (66) said: “We were sitting in a booth when all of a sudden, my dog started to scream. Two Staffordshire bull terriers had come into the bank, and dragged my dog off the scooter. Their jaws had locked around him.

“Jemima (79) tried to separate them but was bitten.

“At the time there was also a guide dog in the bank – imagine if they had bitten that dog?

“Then the manager appeared and told us all to leave. Her attitude was a total disgrace. Other people in the bank at the time agreed her attitude was atrocious. She was shouting that no dogs were allowed and we all had to get out.

“My dog was covered in blood, and so was I. I had to take him to the vet afterwards, and Jemima, who stays in Bonnybridge, was taken to hospital. My wee dog wasn’t bothering anyone.

“I always have Edie with me on my scooter – half the time you wouldn’t even know he was there.”

Vivianne, of Tullibody, said: “The man who owned the dogs was in a real bad state because the dogs bit him too. I’ve never been thrown out of anywhere in my life! I just can’t believe the manager put us out of the bank, along with the dogs that attacked us. I’m a sitting target. I’m going to change banks after this.”

A Santander spokesperson said: “We only allow guide dogs in branches and normally there is no reason to enforce this.

“When the incident occurred a guide dog was actually in the branch and the manager’s priority was for the safety of the guide dog and its owner. The incident is regrettable but the manager was perfectly in her right to ask the customers involved to leave.”

A spokesperson for Central Scotland Police confirmed a report on a 50-year-old man has been sent to the Procurator Fiscal under the Dangerous Dogs Act.