A devoted family man

Ian Moody died in a road traffic accident
Ian Moody died in a road traffic accident
Share this article

Tributes are being paid to a devoted family man who died following a road accident.

Ian Moody (60) passed away at Edinburgh’s Western General Hospital on June 26, 10 days after the collision on the A9 between Plean and Bannockburn.

The Stenhousemuir grandad was a passenger in a pick-up truck when they were involved in an accident with a lorry at 8 a.m.

He was taken to Forth Valley Royal Hospital and then transferred to Edinburgh, which has a specialist brain injury department.

Mr Moody, a fabricator at Falburn Engineering in Plean, died on June 26.

His devastated widow Elaine said: “It’s been a huge shock. Ian was working overtime that day and you just keep asking yourself what if he had turned down the hours, or what if they left just a few minutes later - but there is no point in torturing yourself, there is nothing that can be done now.”

Ian was dad to nurse Denise (37) and twins Stephen, who is in the Merchant Navy, and Brian, who is in the Army (both 33) as well as grandad to Scott (11), Amy-Leigh (11), Sophie (9) and Charlie (6). He was a family man who loved going on caravan holidays.

Mrs Moody continued: “Ian was a great husband, father and grandad and spent a lot of time with his family.

“He was also my best friend and I’d like to think I was his - I better have been his!

“We spent all our time together and, with him due to retire in five years, we were looking forward to the future and the caravan trips we would take. But now it’s all been taken away.”

The family moved from Stenhousemuir to Stornoway in 1984 but returned to the town 10 years ago with Ian working for Falburn Engineering ever since.

Ian had signed the Organ Donor Register so, once he was confirmed as having serious brain damage, two patients were found to be a match. The recipients were prepped for surgery and surgeons on standby to carry out the kidney and liver transplants, however they were unable to go ahead.

Surgery had to be carried out no more than two hours after doctors turned off the ventilation machine,however Ian was so strong it was 28 hours before he took his final breath.

Elaine said: “I felt guilty the organs couldn’t be used and these people who thought their lives were about to change had their hopes ruined. If had gone ahead at least some good would have come from his death.

“I would like to thank the staff at Edinburgh Western General, they were fantastic and provided Ian with great care in his final days.

“We buried Ian at Grahamston United Church last week, the same church we were married in 39 years ago.

“We were due to celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary in 2013 as well as my 60th birthday. It would have been a big year and I’m devastated my best friend won’t be here for it.”