Perfectly simple and simply perfect, what’s not to adore about the humble cucumber, we hear (too few) people say? Here at Hendrick’s Gin, we believe the Cucumis Sativus deserves its moment of glory.
In fact so dedicated are we, in our mission to raise the profile of this noble veg, we’ve partnered with our very fine cucumber comrades at the Cucumber Growers Association, to offer free seeds to those curious enough to cultivate a cuke themselves. After all, what could be more delightful than a refreshing serve of Hendrick’s & Tonic, harmoniously garnished with three slices of cucumber? Garnished with your HOMEGROWN cucumber, of course!
Moreover, our quest to share appreciation for cucumbers everywhere, has led us to partner with the delightfully peculiar duo Yan & Henck to create a wondrous visual ode to our precious cuke. Best known for their wonderfully curious floral creations, we entrusted these ardent artists to divert their most unusual energy into a chef-d'oeuvre celebrating this almighty veg. An utterly majestic vision of cucumeric joy, we hope you will agree.
A word from the grande dame herself – Hendrick’s Gin Master Distiller, alchemical genius and poet of spirits, Lesley Gracie: “Hendrick’s Gin has always held the cucumber in the highest regard. Made with a number of unusual twists, Hendrick’s Gin is oddly infused with rose and cucumber essences – inspired by a quintessential British scene of rose gardens and cucumber sandwiches. We wish to spread understanding and devotion for cucumbers across the lands and invite all those with a curious mind to cultivate and embrace their very own unusual side!”
Feeling inspired to cultivate your own cuke, yet puzzled as to how to go about giving it the tender care it requires? Fear not, for our friends at the Cucumber Growers Association have shared their top tips for getting your cucumbers off to a sprouting start:
- Fill a small pot (or jam jar) with fresh potting mix and make a dip in the soil about 2cms deep. Place 1-2 seeds in per pot and water well.
- Your cucumbers will thank you for being in a warm sunny spot in these early days – we suggest using a clear plastic lid (or cling film) over the pot, as cucumber seedlings love humidity and this will help no end.
- Once the seedlings appear and the first leaves are showing, remove the smallest shoot to leave one seedling per pot.
- As the leaves start to grow, consider re-potting into a larger space such as a window box, bigger/ deeper pot or flower bed if available.
- Once your cuke plant is established it requires little fuss – but don’t forget these thirsty plants require regular watering to ensure the soil is never dry.
- As your cucumber vines start to grow, they can be trained up a trellis, bamboo or along a piece of string.
- Feed plants every few weeks (not with Hendrick’s but with some plant feed, of course) to ensure best results.
- Harvest cucumbers whilst they are still small and tender for best taste.
Once you magnificent cucumbers are plump and ready for consumption, all that’s left to do is slice three perfect slices to include in your refreshing Hendrick’s Gin & Tonic. Oh so delectable!
- 50ml Hendrick's Gin
- 150ml Tonic Water
- 3 Thinly Sliced Rounds of Cucumber
Method: Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with cubed ice. Lightly stir and serve. Garnish with 3 thinly sliced rounds of cucumber.
To claim your free cucumber seeds, simply email [email protected]
with your details and we’ll send you sumptuous seeds to sow*. And do keep us updated on your cucumber’s budding progress! @hendricksgin #HendricksCucumber @YanSkates @HenckRoling
UK, 18+. Opens 06.07.2020, closes 06.10.2020 or until 246 Hendrick’s cucumber seed packs are claimed. To claim email [email protected] stating your full name, address and age. 1x Hendrick’s cucumber seed pack available, 246 available in total. No purchase necessary. Max one claim per person per email address. Recipients must respond within 5 days of notification. Full terms: www.promoterms.com/GrowYourOwnCuke