Coronavirus: Large events should be cancelled as confirmed cases continue to rise

With the number of cases of COVID-19 continuing to rise, residents in the Falkirk district can expect further measures to help delay the spread of the virus to be announced in the coming days.

By Fiona Dobie
Monday, 16th March 2020, 9:02 am

The latest figures released by the Scottish Government on Sunday showed a further 32 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Scotland, bringing the total to 153.

In Forth Valley there have been 10 confirmed cases so far – a rise of four since Saturday.

A total of 4240 people in Scotland have been tested for the disease.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

From today the Scottish Government is strongly advising that all events likely to attract 500 people or more are cancelled.

The government doesn’t have the powers to cancel events, but is encouraging and advising organisers to “act responsibly to support the efforts of emergency services and the wider public sector” to prepare for increased numbers of cases of coronavirus.

You may also be interested in:

A number of events have already been postponed locally, including Bo’ness Hippodrome’s Silent Film Festival, HippFest and the Supernova Run at the Kelpies in aid of CHAS, and it looks likely that others will follow suit.

The UK’s Health Secretary Matt Hancock had said that elderly people are likely to be asked to self-isolate for up to four months, however Jeanne Freeman, his counterpart in Scotland, said the Scottish Government was not planning on isolating the elderly but would instead be “asking them to reduce social contact”.

A free helpline has been set up for people who do not have symptoms but are looking for general advice: 0800 028 2816.