FALKIRK boss Steven Pressley dismissed a ‘derisory’ bid for striker Farid El Alagui, but Falkirk are braced for a move to lure defender Murray Wallace south.
The stand-out central defender turned 19 on Tuesday and has two more years on his deal, and his contractual situation coupled with his impeccable form will command a more realistic fee than that offered for the hottest striker in Scottish football.
The Falkirk Herald understands Newcastle, Brighton, Ipswich and Norwich have scrutinised Wallace over the festive period and a bid for the 19-year-old will give Falkirk a tougher decision to make than last week’s.
Crawley Town submitted an offer for the Bairns’ 21-goal striker - less than the £45,000 reported - that was rebuffed immediately.
“It was rejected,” Pressley said of the League Two leaders’ offer. “I’ve said it before, Farid is very happy here and I expect him to remain until the end of the season - he sees that as his job here, to see out his contract.
“That will be the case unless something unexpected happens, but I can’t see it.”
Pressley is confident of retaining the Moroccan and though he has admitted every player has a price, he can’t foresee an offer that meets the club’s valuation - especially after Crawley entered the bidding so low.
Any offers for his defender will begin higher after Wallace dislodged Rhys Bennett from the team early in the season to become a mainstay of the Bairns’ backline beside Darren Dods.
Bennett’s loan extension would fill any void left by Wallace, but Falkirk are keen to deal with a loan-back agreement on any youngsters’ sales.
n Jack Compton is expected to report to training this morning (Thursday).
Rotherham have contacted the player’s agent over another temporary switch to England, but no agreement had been reached as The Falkirk Herald went to press last night.