Houston still Falkirk favourite but 41 apply to Bairns

Peter Houston is the choice of many at Falkirk but jamie McGowan and Pieter Huistra have entered their names to the fray
Peter Houston is the choice of many at Falkirk but jamie McGowan and Pieter Huistra have entered their names to the fray
0
Have your say

Suggestions of a managerial shortlist in a national newspaper have been laughed off by Falkirk.

A list consisting of Peter Houston, Colin Cameron, Russell Latapy, David Moss and Jamie McGowan was published on Monday and repeated by a local radio station in Central Scotland.

However at the time no list had been formally created and the pick of the 41 applications submitted will be made today (Wednesday).

As The Falkirk Herald revealed last week, Peter Houston is a firm favourite for the post – but much will depend on talks and interviews scheduled for the coming days.

And as revealed on www.falkirkherald.co.uk Jamie McGowan has applied, while former Rangers winger Pieter Huistra who scored twice against Falkirk in his final game in Scotland is also among the applicants.

It is also understood Colin Cameron and Russell Latapy did NOT apply for the role and are not being considered by the Bairns board.

The Bairns are seeking significant managerial experience after appointing rookies on the past five occasions the post has become available.

An optimistic timescale would see an annoucnement on Friday, but the boss search is more likely to drag on into next week.

Meanwhile the Bairns have said the pre-season tour at Aldershot is still on the schedule, despite the managerial uncertainty.

The week-long trip to the Army base will be closed with a friendly against Worthing on July 12 but a new manager could have alternative plans.

A club spokesman said: “As it stands the trip is still on, however we are aware things could change and we appreciate fans may be looking to book travel and accomodation, so we advise them to exercise caution with their plans as the schedule could be subject to change.

“As soon as a new manager is installed and a decision is made by them on the pre-season plans we will communicate these to the fans, but as it stands the trip to England is still on, for the time being.”