Bairns will still pursue Stewart cash

Mark Stewart celebrates a goal at Westfield
Mark Stewart celebrates a goal at Westfield
0
Have your say

Falkirk are still seeking training compensation for Mark Stewart - even though his contract with Bradford City was cancelled on Monday.

The claim from the Bairns stands at €330,000 and the Yorkshire outfit had been given a FIFA deadline to begin payment today or explain their reason for not releasing the funds. However, yesterday, that deadline was extended into next month.

The striker spent a troubled season at Valley Parade, breaking a foot early in his tenure before being loaned out to Hamilton by replacement boss Phil Parkinson for the second half of the season.

The two-year contract was formally torn up on Monday, but that shouldn’t have an effect on the outstanding dispute with Falkirk over their investment into developing Stewart into a 17-goal striker according to club general manager David White.

“The rules clearly state compensation must be paid for a player under 23,” he told The Falkirk Herald.

“That does not change. We have the claim lodged with FIFA and it is progressing.

“Whatever has happenned with Mark and Bradford is between them and does not affect our claim or situation.”

The complex situation has rumbled on for a year since Stewart departed.

He spent three days of pre-season with Falkirk before his contract ended and he made the move to Bradford along with friend and team-mate Chris Mitchell on a two-year deal.

But as Falkirk offered Stewart a contract extention in November 2010, they are eligible for a pay-out from Bardford for training the former Celtic youth.

However, a complicated muddle of paperwork conflicts including Stewart’s birthday, and season closure date differences between the English and Scottish FA has seen the situation drag on.

FIFA will not put a timescale on when the claim will be resolved and a statement to The Falkirk Herald said: “We are not in a position to provide any estimation since it depends on too many (unpredictable) factors.”

The governing body received Bairns’ official claim in March and has liaised with both clubs to build up the background to the case since then.