Campaigners were celebrating after a bus firm listened to their protests and agreed to a reprieve for a vital service.
Last month, passengers were dismayed when First Scotland East announced plans to scrap the X86 and 24 buses which operate in the Denny, Banknock and Bonnybridge areas.
Community councils united to protest at the move. This week the bus operator agreed to operate a new 4B service to replace the X86 from August 22 – but warned it would be on a “use it or lose it basis”.
Paul McGowan, First Scotland East managing director, said: “We have completed a comprehensive consultation around proposed changes to services to our network. We’ve had a fantastic response.
“We’ll continue to provide service between Falkirk, Banknock, Banton and Kilsyth by introducing the 4B to partially replace the X86.”
Councillor Craig R. Martin said: “Can I thank First for listening to the campaigners and reinstating the service. This was only done due to the hard work of the campaigners and I congratulate them.
“As First has said, ‘use it or lose it’, therefore can I encourage people to use our bus services or we won’t have any left in Falkirk.
“Falkirk Council has been working with First, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport and local residents and will also use funds to expand the service into the evening.”