The devastated family and friends of schoolboy Michael Easton, who died on the M9, gathered for his funeral this week.
The 13-year-old’s coffin was carried in a white horse-drawn carriage from a service in Grangemouth’s Abbotsgrange Church to New Grandsable Cemetery in Polmont. The funeral was led by Grangemouth High chaplains, Reverends Aftab Gohar, David Smith and David Bunyan.
His parents, Susan and Christopher, along with brother Ryan and sister Amy, led the mourners, many of them the youngster’s schoolfriends.
Tragically, the procession passed the spot where the schoolboy is thought to have accessed the road.
Michael’s body was discovered on the motorway, close to the Cadgers Brae interchange, around 5.40 a.m. on Saturday, April 27.
He was last seen in Grangemouth town centre at around 9.50 p.m. the previous night where he is understood to have been with friends.
Police believe the teenager took a shortcut across the carriageway to get home to Polmont before his 10 p.m. curfew.
Last week, The Falkirk Herald revealed a barbed wire fence on nearby Beancross Road had been deliberately cut, allowing easy access.
On Monday, workers from Bear, the company responsible for the motorway upkeep, repaired the damaged section of fencing. They were just yards away from a tribute site set up by Michael’s friends with flowers, balloons, soft toys and poignant messages.
The driver and car which police believe were involved in the tragic incident were traced by police last week.
Yesterday (Wednesday), a spokeswoman for Police Scotland Forth Valley Division, said enquiries were still ongoing.
She said: “We have had an excellent response from the public which resulted in a significant number of motorists and pedestrians coming forward who were in the area at the time.”
Detective Inspector Graeme Hendry, who is leading the investigation, previously said officers had narrowed down the time of the incident to between 9.50 p.m. and 10.15 p.m.