Republicans plan another march

The group held an anti-racism march in Denny last year
The group held an anti-racism march in Denny last year
2
Have your say

An Irish republican group has applied to hold a second procession in Denny.

Cairde na hÉireann wants to parade through the town on Saturday, June 2.

The Glasgow-based organisation previously held a march through the town in April last year.

That event was held to campaign against anti-Irish racism, although it is unclear if the procession planned for five weeks time will have the same aim.

According to the application lodged with Falkirk Council, up to 400 marchers can be expected to take part.

They would assemble in Ingleston Avenue before proceeding through Stirling Street, Duke Street, Nethermains Road, Stirling Street and finally dispersing at Herbertshire Castle Park.

Cairde na hÉireann, which translates as Friends of Ireland, describes itself as “the national structure for republicans in Scotland”.

Its stated aims include campaigning for a united Ireland and supporting “initiatives aimed at improving the material conditions of the Irish community in Scotland”.

Last year’s march passed off peacefully despite attracting around 100 objectors, with one being arrested for sectarian breach of the peace.

Police praised both participants and observers for their good behaviour.

The latest application is being opposed by Denny and Dunipace Community Council on the grounds that the march would cause significant disruption in the town centre.

Chairman Colin Belbin said: “It’s the timing of it that we’re against. It would take place at lunchtime on the busiest day of the week for shops.”

Concerns have also been expressed about the proposed date of the parade.

June 2 is the first day of the “central weekend” of national celebrations to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

No specific jubilee events have been planned for that day in Denny, but one resident, who asked not to be named, said he feared that the march could spark confrontation between republicans and pro-royalists.

He said: “This event will only cause trouble if allowed to go ahead.”

No one from Cairde na hÉireann responded to our requests for comment before The Falkirk Herald went to press.

Members of the public have until May 19 to submit comments to Falkirk Council regarding the application.