A 80-year-old resident was taken to hospital after fire broke out in the kitchen of her Falkirk home.
The incident happened in Arnot Street just before 5 p.m. on Thursday when the woman’s smoke alarm alerted her to the chip pan blaze. Two appliances from Falkirk station quickly arrived on the scene and firefighters extinguished the fire.
The woman sustained mild smoke inhalation and was taken to the Forth Valley Royal Infirmary for a precautionary check-up.
Station manager Ben Law said: “More fires begin in the kitchen than in any other room of the house and traditional chip pans are a particularly high fire risk. We would urge everyone take a few simple steps to keep themselves and those around them safe.
“By never leaving pans unattended while in use and by keeping any flammable materials, such as kitchen towels, away from sources of ignition, we can dramatically reduce the chance of fire starting.”
In Scotland more than 1300 people aged 60 and over have been injured in fires since 2009, while 107 lost their lives.
Firefighters now routinely visit large numbers of nearby properties in the days following a house fire, working to raise awareness of the risks and support residents to keep their homes fire safe.
The Home Fire Safety Visit programme is central to the Join Scotland’s Fight Against Fire campaign, with SFRS crews conducting more than 56,000 of the visits last year, assessing risks and providing friendly advice to householders and their families.
Home Fire Safety Visits only take around half an hour and are delivered by firefighters from your local community. Crews assess the risks within a home and share their expert tips to help residents take the simple steps to lower the risk of fire and raise their chance of escaping unhurt if a blaze breaks out.
People can visit www.firescotland.gov.uk or contact their local community fire station for more information.