Hospital wait angers Stenhousemuir family

Jai McDonald (3) recovers at home after his ordeal
Jai McDonald (3) recovers at home after his ordeal
1
Have your say

A toddler was forced to wait three hours in A&E after badly burning his hand.

Little Jai McDonald (3) scalded himself on a hot hob at his Stenhousemuir home on Monday.

Frantic mum Kaisha immediately called NHS 24 who advised her to take the toddler straight to hospital.

Kaisha told the Herald: “I took my eyes off him for a second and next thing he was screaming. His hand was already blistering, so I was told to take him right to Forth Valley Royal and they would phone ahead and let them know we were coming.”

Kaisha called her dad Alan Hamilton who drove from Falkirk to Stenhousemuir to take them to hospital.

Jai was seen by a nurse within an hour and she gave him some pain relief.

However, three hours after arriving, the family was still waiting for a doctor to examine him.

Eventually, they had to return home to let the babysitter watching Jai’s one-year-old sister Rihanna get away.

Mr Hamilton said: “I was so angry.

‘‘The bairn was crying his wee eyes out and we kept asking the receptionist what was happening. But they kept fobbing us off and saying we’d be seen soon.

“It’s nothing short of a disgrace.”