Emergency services rushed to the Ineos petrochemical site in Grangemouth just after 8 a.m. this morning following reports of a gas leak.
Police were asked to close Bo’ness Road, while schools were told to keep children indoors with the windows closed as a precaution as fire engines and ambulances attended the scene at Gate 12 in Inchyra Road.
Ineos has confirmed the leak has now been safely dealt with and there were no injuries or a wider risk to the public.
An Ineos spokesman said: “Ineos can confirm that an incident occurred at the Grangemouth site today. The incident management team was mobilised and managed the incident.
“We detected a leak of butane gas from a small vessel that was brought quickly under control. All personnel are accounted for and the incident team has stood down.
“As a precaution we asked police to temporarily close Bo’ness Road which has now re-opened and we apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.”
A statement released by Police Scotland said: “Police in Forth Valley Division and other emergency service colleagues were today involved in a multi-agency response at the Ineos site in Boness Road, Grangemouth following a leak of butane gas.
“There were no injuries and this did not present any wider risk to the public. Local road closures were in place at Bo’ness Road.”