Firm fined after Camelon kitchen accident

The former owners of the Coppertop extended their ''sincere apologies'' to Miss Winning

The former owners of the Coppertop extended their ''sincere apologies'' to Miss Winning

0
Have your say

The former owners of a Camelon restaurant have been fined £8000 after a kitchen assistant was left disfigured for life in a horror accident.

Colette Winning was working in the Coppertop in Camelon in October 2013 when she was scalded by hot oil.

At Falkirk Sheriff Court on Monday former proprietors Still Inns Limited admitted failing to ensure her safety and pled guilty to a summary charge of breaching health and safety regulations that led to her injury and permanent disfigurement.

The court was told the young woman, who was 19 at the time, was asked by a junior chef to ladle some hot oil from an over full chip-fryer into a saucepan when the pot fell to the ground.

Prosecutor Helen McCannell said: “The young lady was unsure of how many ladles of oil she had removed from the fryer, but the pot was full so she asked the sous-chef if she had removed enough.

“It was when the sous-chef was assessing whether enough oil had been removed that the pot fell. He managed to jump back, but there wasn’t enough room for her to do so.”

The oil splashed Miss Winning on both legs, an ankle and her thigh.

Mrs McCannell added: “She was wearing leggings, but screamed in pain.”

The court heard Miss Winning (21) was treated in the A&E department of Forth Valley Royal Hospital for burns, left with scars on both legs and was off work for 10 weeks.

Defence lawyer Victoria Anderson said the company offered Miss Winning “sincere apologies”.