DCSIMG

Langlees mum to sue council over baby ashes mix-up

Angela Smith and other mums are taking their local authorities to court over the mistakes. Picture: Michael Gillen (131066m)

Angela Smith and other mums are taking their local authorities to court over the mistakes. Picture: Michael Gillen (131066m)

 

A grieving mum who didn’t know there were ashes of her stillborn son is suing Falkirk Council.

Angela Smith (34), from Langlees, has joined a mothers’ group who were also told there were no ashes of their babies when they died during pregnancy.

They are now taking their local authorities to court over the mistakes. Mrs Smith’s son Riece was stillborn in 2005 after 18 weeks of her pregnancy and the family decided to have him cremated.

Policies in place at the time said there would be no ashes but she and husband Tommy found out earlier this year the ashes were buried in a communal area in Falkirk Crematorium.

The mum is now campaigning to the Scottish Government to hold a public inquiry over the scandal, which was brought into the public domain following revelations at Edinburgh’s Mortonhall Crematorium.

Last Friday she and other mums from Glasgow Answers for Ashes Parents met with Lord Bonomy to discuss his recommendations on cremation policy in Scotland and is happy at the progress being made to ensure a similar scandal is avoided in future.

She said: “I can’t say anything about what is in the recommendations as the draft will be coming out in February, but I am happy with what I saw. Progress is being made.

“A legal firm in Glasgow is taking our cases on, but we probably won’t go to court until after the investigation by Elish Angiolini is finished so it might be the latter part of next year.”

A council spokesman said: “We are aware of intended legal action but cannot comment on any individual cases.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page