Anger after Falkirk photographer’s lifetime work is bulldozed

Paul Borg-Grech with the remains of his life's work after the council ordered the building they were stored in to be demolished. Picture: Alan Murray

Paul Borg-Grech with the remains of his life's work after the council ordered the building they were stored in to be demolished. Picture: Alan Murray

3
Have your say

A photographer has been left devastated after losing his life’s work when the council demolished the building it was stored in.

Paul Borg-Grech (50), has lost the negatives from 27 years of work after Falkirk Council ordered the coach house they were stored in at the back of his Hodge Street studio to be pulled down.

The council says it had to demolish the building for safety reasons as debris was falling off it following last week’s storm , leaving it an immediate danger to the public.

The property was deemed unsafe earlier this year when Mr Borg-Grech, who rents it from a private owner, was on holiday and the council fenced it off telling the photographer he couldn’t enter it again.

He now claims he wasn’t given a chance by the council to go back in and retrieve the negatives before the bulldozers tore it down.

Mr Borg-Grech said: “My work goes back to 1988. I’m very saddened. It’s a lifetime’s work and there is a full history of the Falkirk area in there but it is all lost now.

“I was called just before to say the council were going to knock it down but I wasn’t given the chance to get my files out. Surely some arrangement could have been made.”

A council spokesperson said: “In the early hours of Thursday morning due to the weather conditions a further collapse occurred resulting in brickwork and further sections of the roof coming down.

“This left us with no option but to instruct works with immediate effect to make the building safe by removing the dangerous brickwork and remaining roof sections to ensure the safety of people in and around the property.”